[soci-users] CMake and Windows builds
Vadim Zeitlin
2015-04-14 16:31:23 UTC

Speaking of CMake, how exactly is it supposed to be used under Windows?
I've never used it there with SOCI as we have our own project/solution
files there, but I thought I could just do "cmake" and then build the
generated solution and apparently this doesn't work because the link
dependencies are not specified correctly, see

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/VadimZeitlin/soci/build/4.0.0.3/job/eh43w5l1v2ip832a

Any ideas?
VZ
Mateusz Loskot
2015-04-14 17:54:08 UTC
Post by Vadim Zeitlin
Hi,
Speaking of CMake, how exactly is it supposed to be used under Windows?
I've never used it there with SOCI as we have our own project/solution
files there, but I thought I could just do "cmake" and then build the
generated solution and apparently this doesn't work because the link
dependencies are not specified correctly, see
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/VadimZeitlin/soci/build/4.0.0.3/job/eh43w5l1v2ip832a
Post by Vadim Zeitlin
Any ideas?
It should be easy really. The hardest part is to collect the dependencies.

It's been long time since I've done any personal projects on Windows+Visual
Studio, a bit neglected that area in SOCI.
Apparently something has broke there and I'll have to look at it.
I'll work on it this week.

Hmm, appveyor looks useful!

Mateusz Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
(Sent from mobile)
Vadim Zeitlin
2015-04-14 18:29:19 UTC
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:54:08 +0200 Mateusz Loskot <***@loskot.net> wrote:

ML> It should be easy really. The hardest part is to collect the dependencies.

MySQL ones seem to be installed and found, yet linking doesn't work...

ML> It's been long time since I've done any personal projects on Windows+Visual
ML> Studio, a bit neglected that area in SOCI.

I use SOCI mostly in this configuration, so the code definitely works (and
is tested), it's just the CMake build system which seems to have problems.

ML> Apparently something has broke there and I'll have to look at it.
ML> I'll work on it this week.

TIA!
VZ
Mateusz Loskot
2015-04-14 22:39:49 UTC
Post by Vadim Zeitlin
ML> It should be easy really. The hardest part is to collect the dependencies.
MySQL ones seem to be installed and found, yet linking doesn't work...
Right.
As collect, I rather meant collecting and installing all SOCI dependencies,
DBMS client libraries SOCI needs, is PITA on Windows.
IMO, *BSD/Linux packaging systems are superior here.

Perhaps things have changed since arrival of NuGet native packages [1]
and CoApp toolkit support [2] for 'dead' easy packaging

[1] http://blog.nuget.org/20130426/native-support.html
[2] http://coapp.org/news/2013-04-26-Announcing-CoApp-Tools-For-NuGet.html

However, as I mentioned, I have neglected the development on Windows,
partly due to the annoying dependencies issue.
Post by Vadim Zeitlin
ML> It's been long time since I've done any personal projects on Windows+Visual
ML> Studio, a bit neglected that area in SOCI.
I use SOCI mostly in this configuration, so the code definitely works (and
is tested), it's just the CMake build system which seems to have problems.
Quick look at the appveyor log suggest the soci_core_4.0.0.lib is missing from
backend DLLs linking command. I'll be looking at it.

Best regards,